Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Something unpredictable. . .

". . .In the end it's right. I hope you have the time of your life."

How many times have we heard those words--played at graduations, goodbye parties and just in general? But in all honesty, Greenday could not have said it any better. Life is unpredictable, but through all the obstacles, the failures, surprises and successes, what happens is meant to happen. I know that we make choices every single day that affect our life, but sometimes things are literally random and out of our control. I think of it as entropy, sort of.

My whole 1st year college experience can be described by that Greenday song & entropy. I hated the school before applying, got in, fell in love with it after visiting for a second time and still love it here every single day, no matter what happens. Sometimes, I walk by the Rotunda or anywhere pretty on grounds and think to myself, "How did I end up on such a beautiful campus? I'm so blessed to be in Mr. Jefferson's university and to be in such a happy place and point in my life." And to think I almost didn't apply.

And then there's CSA, another opportunity I almost missed out on because I thought it'd be lame. But by deciding to go to a meeting on a whim and filling out a form to be placed in a family, I ended up finding a 2nd family, which came with a set of brothers that I never had, but sometimes wish I did. And ever since that random decision, I have made lasting friendships and tried new things that I never thought I would--HIP HOP!?!?!

So basically order and "the time of my life" came out of random acts and what were initially perceived to be disorderly or negative activities. But more importantly, I think I've learned the importance of embracing the natural tendency for unpredictability in life. I've been fighting unpredictable events for a long time. . .but I think I'm finally starting to embrace it (a little). That doesn't mean I'm gonna go all Dao & just let life run it's course. It simply means that I will be more appreciative of the random occurrences of life, especially since some of the best things that have happened to me were by mostly by random occurrences or chance, whatever you'd like to call it.

Anyway, I should get back to reading so I'm not completely screwed for all the finals that I have to get As on! Can't wait until this semester is over :) So ready for summer & Fall2010!

0 comments:

Post a Comment