Saturday, April 17, 2010

You know how there are certain things that you really love doing and once you start, it's hard to stop? That's how it is with me and doing anything Model UN related, or planning an event/program/meeting. . . and shopping :D

It makes me wonder how come doing those things (the former two rather than the latter) don't seem like doing work even though I'm still doing something productive. I guess it's because I love doing it. Planning, organizing, networking, communicating, researching, writing, and being an activist are all things that come naturally to me and things that I enjoy doing. I know I'm supposed to be educating myself and gaining more knowledge and skills. . .but these things are so tedious and boring sometimes. I certainly do not want to do math problems all day, every day.

I guess what I'm saying is I'm not really cut out to be an intellectual? And I'm having trouble finding more academic things that I enjoy doing. . .which sort of worries me. I want to be just as passionate about an academic field as I am about all the other activities that I do. I want to love a subject so much that I won't mind all the work that I have to do, just like I don't mind doing a lot of tedious research & work for Model UN or for any leadership position I take on. I really hope (for the sake of my future) that I will discover it soon.

For now, I guess I just have to keep on mindlessly doing calculus and accounting problems. . .

2 comments:

Starr said...

I know exactly what you mean!
I'm a premed student, but I would much rather spend time doing all the networking and PR and organizing and that I do through my clubs than study organic chemistry. Sometimes I get really worried that I picked the wrong path, but I have never been much of a cut-my-losses kind of girl, even though inability to cut losses is a major human psychological flaw.
Oh well. I'll just forge ahead and hope academia becomes as fun as everything I'd rather do now...

Minh Pho said...

no idea what your major is but if you love doing model un why dont you try to do like international relations or something like that? if you find a major that fits with model un youd get to do a job you love and not have to do math! hope your freshmen year went well

Post a Comment